Saturday, January 17, 2015

Turning of the Tide

So I said earlier that I would write two blogs today and I stuck to it and got this one written. I used an app that I downloaded a while ago to generate a random first line and used that for this blog.  The app will also generate random plots and random characters.  I may use this again, just to mix things up.  I hope you enjoy day 17 of the 31 day writing challenge.


Prompt (Random First Line from an app I have): He had enjoyed ten years of being totally irresponsible.

 

He had enjoyed ten years of being totally irresponsible.  Dave had enjoyed his rich guy bachelor life.  He worked hard but he played harder, just like the cliché. He didn’t care if people thought he was a spoiled rich kid, he knew better.  All that had mattered to him was making money and enjoying life, isn’t that what was at the heart of the American Dream?  He looked as Cynthia again as he turned back in to her talking.  She was fidgeting with her coffee cup and rambling about doctors.  “Wait a minute, wait just one fucking minute,” he snapped.  “So you call out of the blue after four years and tell me that I have a kid, and not just a kid but a sick kid and you expect me to take it at face value?” Cynthia looked, anger flashing in her eyes, “Yes, I expect you to believe me because I have no reason to lie.”  “Oh yeah?  I can think of a few million,” he barked with laughter.  “I don’t want your money.  The only thing I want from you is your bone marrow, or for you to be tested at least.”    So you expect me to believe that all you want is that and then you are just going to fade back into the background.  No money, no little help with the medical bills, or anything like that eh?”    Jesus Christ, you really are full of yourself.  I don’t want anything from you except for you to get tested to see if you can help save my child’s life.”    Oh your child, not our child?  I thought you said the kid was mine.”    It is your child you fuck wad but I don’t want or expect you to have anything to do with our lives.  Why do you think I never told you I was pregnant?  I knew you wouldn’t care.  Heaven forbid if some real responsibility interferes with your perfect precious life.  Just take the test and if you are a match donate.  That’s it.  It won’t even put you down and out for more than a week.”  Dave eyed her and thought about what she was saying.  So he had a kid, maybe, and she didn’t want anything from him but bone marrow.  Hmmm, he wondered if he could get her to sign something that stated that and protect himself.  “So would you be willing to sign a waiver that releases me from any financial obligations?”  “Look, I will sign whatever the hell you want as long as you get tested and then donate,” she snapped.  Cynthia got up and flung a card on the table.  “This is the doctor.  Call him and set up an appointment.  Once you have been tested and we find out if you are a match I will sign your release.”  He looked at her and picked up the card.  Frowning he said, “This guy is one of the top oncologists in the city.  How can you afford him?”  She eyed him levelly, “That is none of your business, are you going to make the appointment?”  “Yeah, I guess.  I will get a hold of my lawyer and get those papers drawn up as well.”  She reached into her purse and pulled out another piece of paper, “You really are a piece of work you know that?  You would actually blackmail me into signing an agreement by withholding lifesaving treatment from your child.”  She laughed a humorless laugh and tossed the piece of paper on the table.  Dave picked up what was actually a photograph and looked into the sea green eyes of his daughter.  “Her name is Hope in case you were wondering,” she said as she stormed off.  Dave stared at the tiny face that looked so much like his mother but with his eyes.  There was no doubt this was his child and in that moment he felt his world shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment