Monday, January 12, 2015

Play Time

Today has been a bit surreal for me.  I found out that I was awarded a research fellowship that I had applied for just after Christmas.  I am beyond excited for the opportunity but I had written it off as something that I was not going to be doing this semester.  Now, I have to change mental gears and start thinking about my research proposal and planning school, research, workouts, work, and life for the next few months.  I know that I am up for the challenge and more importantly I am happy for the changes that are coming my way and the path that my life is on.  However, enough about that for now.  Here is day 12 of the 31 day writing challenge.  I hope you enjoy it.


Prompt: Your antagonist made a promise as a child. He or she could not keep it. What was the promise?

Lacey look from the picture to the person in front of her.  It was hard to believe that these were the same person but they were.  She had known Cali for thirty years.  They grew up as next-door neighbors and became fast friends as young girls.  “Haven’t you ever made a promise that you just couldn’t keep, Cali?”  Lacey whispered.  “Well, I did.  That promise that we made to each other so long ago.  You know the one, where we promised always to be there for each other?  Yeah, well I can’t keep that one.  In fact, I think I have done just the opposite of that.” Cali lay there, unable to move and stared in horror at the glassy eyed woman that until a few years ago had been her best friend.  She was not sure how she had missed the madness that captured her friend’s soul but she was caught in its throws now.  She tried to wiggle her hands and hopefully loosen the bindings but it only seemed to make them tighter.  Her squirming drew Lacey’s attention back to her and she froze.  “Oh…oh…Cali it is too late for that.  Don’t fight what is happening.  It truly is what is for the best.  Don’t worry, it will be over soon.”  Lacey smiled her maniacal smile and got up to look out the window.  Cali could see the sun setting and knew that her time was growing short.  She groped around behind her looking for something, anything that could help her.  Inching like a worm, she wiggles her bound hands and feet as silently as she could desperation starting to make her panic.  Taking her eyes off Lacey, she looked around in the fading daylight scanning the ground for something to help break the bindings.  Spying a nail in the rubble pile she began frantically to wiggle her way over, keeping her eyes glued to Lacey’s back.  The strange humming was unnerving her and she knew by the tune that her friend was once again lost in childhood memories.  “Did you know that my Dad used to bring me here?  He owned this house until his death and then it passed to me.  I figured that when he died, he passed his practice on to me too but I knew that my first had to be special.  That is why I brought you here.  You are special and will make this more memorable.”  Cali had frozen as the sound of Lacey’s voice but she had never turned and now Cali doubled her efforts.  Her instincts were telling her that she had to hurry because there would be no reasoning with this person.  The humming began again and Cali finally closed her hands on the nail.  Squirming back to her original position, Cali began to work frantically on the bindings on her hands.  Several times, she missed the duct tape and jabbed the nail into herself.  Wrists slick with sweat and blood, Cali pulled and felt some give in the bindings.  Jabbing hard, she couldn’t keep her breathing under control anymore.  Panting, she pierced her palm again and whimpered in pain.  Feeling the tape again with the nail she jabbed repeatedly, yanking her wrists apart as she went.  One last yank and her hands jerked free.  Cali yelped in surprise and heard the humming stop. Holding her breathe she continued to stare as she watched Lacey’s dead eyes turn back to her.  Looking over her shoulder, she realized that the sunlight was completely gone.  “It’s time my friend,” Lacey sing-songed, “It’s time to play.”  Cali gripped the nail as tight as she could and braced herself to fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment