Sunday, January 4, 2015

Just a Little Curveball

I have written something on this prompt before (that I had only shared with one other person) and decided to revisit the prompt.  This isn't the same story that I wrote previously, just the same prompt.  I hope you enjoy, day 4 of the 31 day writing challenge.

Prompt: Write a story that takes place entirely on one square foot of tile – a kitchen, pool, wherever you like.

Angie stood at the bathroom sink trying to gather her thoughts.  Glancing at her watch, she wasn’t sure if she had been in there for minutes or hours.  10 minutes, wow, just 10 minutes.  It felt like longer.  She looked up at her reflection, wondering if she looked different.  Surely when your life changes like this, you look different right?  Peering closely, she could see no change other than the obvious signs of tears.  She could hear voices in the other room but she just didn’t know if she was ready to go out there yet.  As she stood, she felt a pain in her hand and realized, looking down, that she was gripping her cell phone so tightly that she was surprised she hadn’t cut herself.  Letting go, she felt the life drain from her and sunk down to the floor.  All she could think was what now…what in the hell do I do now?  How do I explain this?  I do I deal with this?  How did I get myself into this mess?  There was a soft knock on the door and she heard the voice of Dave, her fiancĂ©, “Honey, is everything ok?  Our guests are waiting.”    I’m fine.  I will be out in a minute,” she replied, surprised by the steadiness in her voice.  She heard Dave as he headed back to the living room and she took a few deep breathes before picking herself up off the floor.  Turning on the water, she ran cold water over her wrists and onto a washcloth.  Pressing the cloth to her eyes, she hoped she could minimize the evidence of her tears and pulled open her makeup drawer.  Pushing her raging thoughts back down, she fixed her makeup and readied herself to rejoin everyone.  Just as she reached for the door, her phone rang again.  Looking down she saw the number and sighed.  “I can’t talk right now.  Dave and our guests are waiting for me,” she whispered.  “Fine but you can’t put me off forever,” the harsh voice barked.  “This isn’t going to simply go away.”  “I know, damn it!  Now let me go and I will call you back.”    Make sure you do, they’re dead because of us, and we have to figure out what to do next.”  She heard the dial tone and put her phone down.  Plastering on a smile, she went out to have dinner with her future in-laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment