Wednesday, January 7, 2015

A Fresh Start

No razzle and dazzle tonight...here is day 7 of the 31 day writing challenge.


Writing Prompt – A man must convince his lover that moving and a fresh start is best.

Jake sat, with his head in his hands. He knew that the conversation that was coming was not going to be easy. It was going to take every bit of persuasion that he had to get Ryan to move but he knew he was right. Wandering around their condo, he read the email for the millionth time, double the pay. DOUBLE the pay and the job he had always wanted but he knew convincing Ryan to leave their family and friends was not going to be easy but damn it he wasn’t asking him to move to another country, yet. He started trying to get his thoughts together because glancing at his watch, Ryan should be home in about half an hour. Hmmmm…maybe I should ply him with wine first. Not a bad idea, rushing into the kitchen he desperately scanned the wine rack looking for Ryan’s favorite. Ahhh perfect, one bottle of sparkling muscato left. Putting it in the blast chiller, he scrounged around for something to pair with it. Pulling out a plate, he gathered the last of their brie, grapes, strawberries, gouda, apples, and water crackers. This should definitely make Ryan happy. Heading back over to the wine rack, he look for a back up, just in case one bottle was not enough. Hmmmm, red muscato it was going to have to be. Everything ready, Jake continued to pace. He was so excited about what this could mean for their future and he just hoped he could get Ryan to see the potential.
He heard the key in the lock and went to the door. He could keep the smile off his face, and as soon as Ryan came in he grabbed him and kissed him deeply. Ryan was shocked but pleased with his enthusiastic welcome home and leaned into the kiss, running his hands down Jake’s back. Pulling back a little breathless, Ryan whispered, “Are you going to talk to me or fuck me because I know there is a reason behind that greeting.” Jake laughed, kissed him on the forehead and took his hand. Leading Ryan into the living room, he took his bag from him and headed into the kitchen. He reappeared with the tray of goodies and the wine. Ryan was seated on the sofa and looked a little apprehensive. “So what gives? I know I didn’t forget our anniversary, so what brought all this on, on a Tuesday no less?” Jake sat, poured the wine and looked at Ryan with deep intensity. “Please hear me out, completely before you say anything.” Ryan gulped his wine, nervous about whatever was coming. Jake began, “You know how much I have wanted to be an editor. I have dreamed of the opportunity to work for Penguin books for a long time. Well, I found out they had an opening for a junior editor and I thought I would take a chance and apply. I know I should have told you but I didn’t think anything would come of it. Well, they contacted me a month ago and wanted to do a video interview with me. I still didn’t think anything would come of it, so I kept my mouth shut and did the interview. Then two weeks ago, they contacted me and wanted me to come in for a face to face interview. The senior editor was going to be in Dallas, and decided that it would be the perfect time to interview me. I flew up on Friday and interviewed with her. She is just so lovely and bright and charming and everything I ever hoped for in a potential boss. I still didn’t say anything because well I didn’t want to get my hopes up and saying it out loud made it so real,” Jake paused to take a drink of wine. Ryan sat stunned and Jake could see the glimmer of hurt in his eyes. Taking a deep breath he continued, “So I got a call today from Isabelle and she offered me the job. ME! Can you believe it? She wants me to be a junior editor in the young adult division of Penguin books. Do you know what this means baby? Do you?” Ryan sat down his wine and leaned in and kissed Jake, “Of course I am not surprised that they want you. Your are very talented but why don’t you tell me what the catch is? I know you and I know that there is a catch to all of this, otherwise you would have told me all of this from the beginning.”
Jake finished his glass of wine, poured them both another and said, “The job is in Seattle and they want me to start in three weeks. I have to give them an answer by Thursday.” Jake prepared for the explosion and was shocked by the utter silence. Ryan leveled his gaze at Jake and said, “Let me get this straight, you want us to pick up and move in three weeks to the other side of the country? You want us to move away from our HOME and FAMILY and FRIENDS to fucking hippy country? HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?” Jake rallied, “Hear me out on this, please. I swear I didn’t deliberately do this to deceive you. I didn’t honestly think I would get the job. But baby I did, I got the job I have always wanted and I have so much opportunity to move up. They are going to pay me DOUBLE, did you hear me DOUBLE what I am making now, and that is to start. Within two years I could be making double that. This will give us the financial freedom to do so many of the things we have been wanting to do. Now I know that it isn’t home but well we both know, the west coast are a lot more welcoming to gay couples than Texas. Also, this would give us the financial ability to start our family. You could even take off the first two years with the baby like you wanted to do. I know that moving is going to be hard but we can still visit and they can visit us.” Jake had dropped to his knees in front of Ryan, begging, “Please baby, I can’t do this without you. I want this for me but I want this for us. A fresh start, a new place, new memories, no exes to be jealous of, no nosy parents dropping in all the time, no more pinning vacations on pinterest but actually taking them, no more worrying about commissions. I looked at schools there and they are desperate for teachers. You can take your pick of schools. Please, please tell me you will think about it.”
Ryan reached out, cupping Jake’s face, “This really means this much to you? You would really make enough for us to start our family? Really?” Jake kissed Ryan’s palm, “Yes, yes , yes to all of the above and I swear if we hate it, we will move back here as soon as my contract is up. I just need to give this a shot. I need this as much as I need the air I breathe and as much as I need you. I can’t live with the what ifs. SO what do you think?” “I think that we have a lot to work out but when we exchanged our vows, I said I was with you no matter what. So, now start over and tell me everything…….”

No comments:

Post a Comment