Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Next Challenge

So I started classes tonight for my spring semester and it was definitely difficult to change gears, come home, and write this blog.  I enjoyed this one, even if it is short. I have a ton of respect for people that do the kinds of jobs that most people couldn't and wouldn't want to do. So here is day 21 of the 31 day writing challenge.


– Prompt (Random First Line): “We’re going to freeze to death!”

“We’re going to freeze to death!”  Stan exclaimed to Adam.  “You do realize we are from Texas.  We are not ready for those kinds of temperatures.”  Adam eyed his friend with disappointment, “I thought you would be up for some adventure.  Didn’t we spend all of high school and most of college talking about trying something new?”    New?  Yes. Crazy?  No.”    Come on, it is only for a couple of months.”    A couple of months, starting in January in Alaska.  Have you even looked at what the temperatures are like at that time?  Seriously dude, you have lost your mind.”    Well, I am going to do it.  I am excited to see what will happen.”  Stan looked at his lifelong friend with great exasperation, “I can tell you what is going to happen.  You are going to end up injuring yourself, probably seriously.  What do you know about crab fishing anyway?  Oh wait, let me guess you have been binge watching Deadliest Catch.  You realize that watching a show is not going to prepare you for what you are about to experience?”    I know but what are the odds that someone I know would end up buying a crab boat?  I mean come on, I feel obligated to give it a try.  So are you in or out?”  Adam demanded.  That sat in silence while Stan contemplated everything.  “I know this is something that you feel compelled to try and while I think you are nuts I say go for it.  As for me, I am going to pass.  I would rather spend my time trying something more my speed.” Adam recognized the determined set to Stan’s chin and knew there was nothing that would get him to change his mind.  He was disappointed but was in no way dissuaded from his decision.  The next hurdle to this was telling his parents.  He knew if Stan took it like that, his parents were going to freak out but you only got one chance at life and he didn’t want to live an ordinary one.  Pulling out his cell phone, he called Charlie and told him that he was in but that Stan was out.  Smiling he listened to his college friend whoop with delight and felt content with his decision.  Now he had a few months to prepare for his new challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment