Thursday, November 28, 2013

Unthankful?!? Are you SERIOUS?!?!?!

I know it is Thanksgiving but I have to say this.  I saw a comment earlier that said "if you are complaining about working today then you are unthankful for your job."  ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?  I am sorry but when did it become a crime to complain but more to the point when did we become a society that thinks it can not function without shopping on Thanksgiving Day.  Unlike Christmas, Thanksgiving is one of those rare American holidays that crosses all boundaries.  It doesn't matter what race, religion, nationality, or anything else that you are.  If you are American, you should be given the opportunity to spend it with your family and/or friends.  I understand that there are some businesses that are open and have to be open but retail stores?  Is that video game from Best Buy essential to your day?  I remember when I was younger you would be lucky to find a grocery store open on Thanksgiving day and now you can go buy pretty much anything all day long.  Meanwhile, these people that work in these jobs are forced to deal with people that simply can't go a day without shopping.  Seriously when did our values become so warped?  We survived for YEARS without stores being open on Thanksgiving...hell we survived for years without stores opening in the wee hours of the morning on the Friday after.  There was a time when retailers respected their employees and their time with their families but no more.  Nothing is more important than the almighty dollar.  In this day of online shopping, is it really necessary for stores to force employees to work these insane hours?  Wouldn't it be more beneficial to them financially if they ran great online sales and then simply opened up at regular time on Friday? 

So to the person that says someone is unthankful for their job because they complain about working on Thanksgiving, I would like to say this...how would you feel if you were forced to go teach on Thanksgiving or do some one's accounting books or wash some one's car or fill in the blank with your job would you think it was so ridiculous then to complain?  I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving and I refuse to shop on Black Friday.  This is how I feel about it and I make no apologies.  I watched my brother tonight leave his family (without one complaint) and head to Best Buy to work.  So yes this hits close to home for me.  Buy hey at least you got a good deal on that TV and then went home to YOUR FAMILY.

No comments:

Post a Comment