Saturday, November 23, 2013

*Insert Witty Title Here*

So I posted a blog in the wee hours of the morning on Monday with the beginnings of a story.  I honestly didn't know where that would go from there but I got it out of my head and I was able to sleep.  So let me tell you where it has gone from there....I am 6 chapters in and sitting at about 28 pages.  I have done only the most basic of editing so I don't know how it will end up but I am freaking loving this.  A little background for those that don't know me....I work full time in an accounting office and I go to school.  I am a couple of weeks from finishing the semester and then in May 2014 I will graduate with a BA in English and a BA in History.  Yeah yeah I know what you are thinking, geez girl could you have picked to more useless degrees?  Oh wait it gets better.  I have a BA in Criminal Justice already.  So now you are thinking, wait so why the f*@k are you working in an accounting office?!?  Well long story short, opportunity + lack of clue what to do with CJ degree + job + money + security = 14 years in an accounting office.  I could go into more detail but that would be better left for another blog.  SOOOOO fast forward and time travel back to the here and now.  After working for many years and realizing that I was good at what I did but that I did not want to be 65 years old and still doing it I went back to school.  I started as just an English major but my intense inner nerd wanted a bigger outlet and so History was added.  With what ends in mind?  Glad you asked, I want to teach...college.  HAHAHA yeah I know, those school haters out there are crawling out of their skins at the very thought of going to school every day just to work at school.  Oh well, call me a glutton for punishment, but I want to be that teacher.  You know the one, well I sincerely hope you know the one, that is so in love with their subject they inspire you even if it is just a little.  That teacher that makes learning that subject actually interesting and dare I say even a little fun.  I want to be that teacher.  I have been extremely fortunate to have run across many of those in my years of school.  One in middle school, one in high school, and many in college.  Funny thing about those ones in public school, they were both English teachers...hmmm coincidence?  Maybe.  So there you have it.  I am months from my undergrad degrees with graduate school (and perhaps law school but that is definitely something for another blog) in my sites.  In allllllll of this schooling I have never ever written a piece of pure fiction.  Until this semester.  I won't go on and on but I have one of those awesome and inspiring professors right now and because of some university mubojumbo we are required to write a paper.  His bright idea?  Pick an object around your house, it can be anything (well but please no sex toys) and write a paper about that object.  Sounds boring right?  Well here is the kicker...we are to write it as if we are an archaeologist 2000 years in the future.  What would they think this object was?  What mistakes would that make?  What would they think it said about our society?  NOW this sounds interesting.  My personal idea?  I have a replica of an old Scooby Doo metal lunch box.  I keep things like credit cards that I am trying not to use, my social security card, my voter registration card, ticket stubs I want to keep, my blood certification card, my tribal membership card....well you get the idea.  Those things that should probably be in a safe or something are in my Scooby lunch box.  So I chose the lunch box and a couple of things from inside for my paper.  I wrote and wrote and wrote.  I did it diary style and I had a freaking blast.  I had never unleashed my creative writing before and I eventually had to make myself stop (a full 1000 words past our requirement).  Well I got this paper back just this past Tuesday and who made a 100?  That is right...THIS GIRL!  YES!

So what does all this have to do with the book.  Yeah well simmer down I am getting back to that soon.  I had a friend that had told me repeatedly that I was a writer at heart and I NEEDED to start writing.  I would constantly blow him of with a yeah ok whatever you say Chris.  Well he was right and I sincerely wish right now that I could thank him but sadly he was like so many people that we have in our lives, he has come and gone.  I guess I will always have him to thank for instilling in my brain that I could and should write.  So (and yes I am FINALLY back to the book) when I couldn't get that story out of my head on Monday I decided to write it down.  I am glad I did.  I got terrific feedback on those couple of pages and from a few people that I really trust I was told it was good and I should keep going.  So I have.  Now with school and work it has not been easy and I don't know how much I will get done over the next couple of weeks but I am going to try and work on it as much as I can.  It is fun and inspiring and just calming.  Strange I hadn't realized that until I typed it but it is calming.  My mind is racing and sometimes I feel like I am on crack because I am trying to type so fast but it is calming.  Perhaps it is just calming a part of me that has been screaming and crying to get out.  Hmmm food for thought.  I may post tidbits on here from time to time but I think that I am going to try and get it published when I get done so I don't want to put too much out there.  We will see.

So for now I am going to write my own way and just let things happen.  Anyway you look at it I will definitely enjoy this and so will anyone who reads it (or so I hope). 

No comments:

Post a Comment