Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Very Rough Draft


SOOOO I was trying to sleep and this story started rolling around in my head.  I decided to get this part down....not sure where it may go (if anywhere) but here you go.  My very first attempt at writing (outside of school that is).
 
Katy awoke heart hammering and body tensed.  She rolled over and peered at the clock 3am.  Fuck.  I need sleep.  It was the dream again, the same damn dream.  She was so tired of this and all she wanted was one decent night’s sleep.  She lay there and tried to calm her racing heart and empty her racing mind.  Hopefully she could catch a few more hours sleep; she needed to look her best today.  Today was so important to her future and to Jason’s future.  She rummaged around in her mind for all of the happy and peaceful thoughts she could summon and settled on Christmas when she was seven.  As she lost herself in those happy memories, she could feel her heart start to slow and her body start to relax.  She finally drifted back to sleep but slept fitfully and woke up a few hours later groggy and melancholy.

Stumbling to the shower, she hoped hot water would revive her.  Finally dressed and feeling somewhat human, she headed to the coffee pot and poured herself a cup.  Thank goodness for timers on coffee pots she thought, for the umpteenth time.  Settling down at the table, she pulled her notepad over and started her list for the day.  She smiled as she thought of how often Jason would give her shit for her lists, asking her if she had a list to keep track of her lists.  As she jotted down what she needed to remember and what she need to bring to the meeting, she could help but think of her parents.  She knew they would be so proud of her and would be rooting her on today.  Finished with her coffee and her list, she gathered up her stuff and stopped to look in the mirror one last time.  As she inspected herself, she saw the tell-tell signs of sleep deprivation but she looked as good as she could.  She told herself, Katilyn Allison Moore you can do this.  Everything is riding on you and this interview so put those big girl panties on and nail this.

Arriving at the admissions office, Katy nervously checked her list again.  Mrs. Landry, office 235, ok Katy you can do this, stop being a wuss.  She moved towards the door of the office and knocked.  Mrs. Landry opened the door and warmly greeted her, “You must be Katilyn Moore, come in, and have a seat.”  Katy glanced around the office as she sat.  The warm tones of maroon and brown were what she had come to expect of this campus.  It all came across as inviting and perhaps even a bit refined.  She had always loved the vibes she got from this campus and she finally realized that Mrs. Landry was speaking to her.  “…..and so with your scores we thought you might be a nice fit for our school.  Your resume is impressive, but your personal statement was vague.  Perhaps you would like to elaborate on it some?”  Katy stammered, “I would be happy to answer whatever you would like to know, Mrs. Landry.”  “Well then, why don’t we start with an easy question, why do you want to be a lawyer?”  Katy stared and swallowed hard, “Would you like the long answer or the longer answer?”  “Why don’t you give me both answers.”

Well I have wanted to be a lawyer since I was a child.  When all the other kids were playing cops and robbers or school, I was playing lawyer.  Katy laughed, “I was the kid that was trying to drag the robber to court.”  As I got older, the love of the law and everything about it solidified.  I would endlessly watch law dramas and read courtroom dramas.  I would also devour any book on a famous lawyer or judge.  I just saw everything that was good and right with the system and I wanted to be a part of it.  Mrs. Landry looked at Katy and could sense the but that was coming.  “Please Katy continue because I can tell there is something else.”

Well, that was how I viewed the law and the legal system my whole life, until two years ago.  In one night, my whole life changed and everything that has happened since then has opened my eyes to the harsh reality of the legal system.  It made me realize that innocent people go to jail for crimes they didn’t commit.  It made me realize that the truth does not always prevail.  It made me realize that good lawyers are few and far between.  It made me realize that no matter how much I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, now I NEED to be a lawyer.  It added to my passion in ways that I can scarcely relate to you.  I need this.  I need to get in here and I need to finish my degree.  I promise you Mrs. Landry you will not be able to find someone that will work harder than I will. 

Mrs. Landry sat and studied Katy but she was not prepared for the answer she would get to her next question.  “Katy, what happened two years ago that changed your view of the legal system so dramatically?”  Katy sighed almost imperceptibly and steeled herself for Mrs. Landry’s reaction.  “Two years ago my parents were murdered.”  “Oh my dear I am so sorry and I understand how..”  “That isn’t all of it.”  Mrs. Landry fell silent and waited.  “My parents were murdered and my brother is on death row for their murders.”  Mrs. Landry sat, stunned into silence.  Katy went on, “You see, this is why I need to get my law degree.  I need to be able to help my brother.  I need to be a resource for him and we have a long fight ahead of us.  There are few things that I am sure of in my life anymore but I know that I need this and I know that Jason is innocent.  These are the things that are keeping me going.”

No comments:

Post a Comment